On the first three Saturdays in August between the hours of 7 am and 1 pm, nearly seven miles of New York City’s streets are open to the public to play, run, walk and bike.
Learn more about Summer Streets
Summer Streets is an annual celebration of New York City’s most valuable public space—our streets. Summer Streets provides space for healthy recreation and encourages New Yorkers to use more sustainable forms of transportation. In 2018, nearly 300,000 people took advantage of the open streets.
REGISTER HERE TO PARTICIPATE IN THE YOGA HANDSTAND STUNT ON AUGUST 3, 2019
Foley Square Rest Stop, Duane Street between Lafayette and Centre Streets (7 AM to 10 AM)
Join international yoga pioneer and Physical Therapist, Lara Heimann to attempt to break the Guinness Book of World Records’ standing record of 399 people executing a handstand simultaneously. Pre-registration is recommended but not required. The first 400 guests to check-in that day on-site at Foley Square (entrance to queue line on the east sidewalk of Lafayette Street at Worth Street) will receive a commemorative gift. To guarantee a spot at this once-in-a-lifetime experience, register in advance HERE.
On-site Registration 7:00 AM – 7:45 AM
Yoga Class 8:00 AM – 8:45 AM
Handstand Stunt 8:45 AM – 9:15 AM
Celebration 9:15 AM – 10:00 AM
Rules for Yoga Stunt Participants
- All Participants must sign an activities and photo waiver prior to engaging in the stunt.
- All Participants must be at least 10 years of age.
- Individuals under 18 years of age must be accompanied by a parent/guardian willing to perform a handstand.
- All Participants must bring a yoga mat to participate in the stunt.
- All Participants are encouraged to wear appropriate attire, such as yoga or other types of fitness clothing, and should bring a reusable water bottle that can be filled prior to entering the activation space at the DEP Water on the Go fountain positioned on the west side of Lafayette Street, directly across from the activation space.